Program and year:Neuroscience Graduate Program, 5th year
Where are you heading next
I am planning on pursuing postdoctoral training with the long-term goal of having my own research laboratory in an academic setting. I was recently awarded the NIH Blueprint Diversity Specialized Predoctoral to Postdoctoral Advancement in Neuroscience (D-SPAN) Award (F99/K00). This award will facilitate completion of my graduate research and the transition to a postdoctoral position.
Your favorite things about grad school.
My favorite thing about graduate school is that I have been able to grow and mature not only in the professional aspect but also in a personal one. It has been a tough journey but I have been lucky to realize that there is always people that will support and help you when times are rough. Also, through my experience in grad school I have realize that there are things I should not take for granted, like family and friends.
The hardest thing you’ve had to overcome.
The hardest things I had to overcome is self-doubt, being away from the people I love and not living the present. It is ok to have a future goal and have plans but it is also important to celebrate the small everyday achievements.
Why you got involved in SACNAS?
I got involved in SACNAS because I saw the need to create a group that represents and celebrates diversity.
Your favorite thing about SACNAS and the chapter.
I AM SO PROUD of what the SACNAS chapter has become!!! My favorite thing is to see that there are a lot of people interested in getting involved in helping SACNAS achieve its goals. ¡Si se puede!
Advice you have for first year grad students.
- It is OK to make mistakes, do not be too hard on yourself.
- You do not have to know EVERYTHING, wisdom comes with age.
- Take breaks, don’t burn yourself out.
- Live life to its fullest, I know we are all overachievers but enjoy the simple moments.
Advice you have for senior grad students.
- We have learn a whole bunch throughout grad school, share your advice with the new students.
- It is ok to cry, it is ok to complain, but recover from it as soon as you can.
- Hey! You got here so far, you are awesome!