- I am originally from Los Angeles, California (oh, how I miss you hot sun).
- I am the first in my family to graduate high school, let alone attend college and pursue education.
- Soy mulata. My dad is from Mexico and my mom is from Nicaragua and through my years of training I’ve totally embraced being a Latina Scientist.
- I am the oldest of three children. My siblings are like my own children. Family is incredibly important to me.
- SACNAS has been a part of my identity since 2011. It has helped me explore the kind of scientist I want to be and help me form communities near and far from home.
- I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, the Island of Enchanment
- I did my undergrad at the University of Puerto Rico at Ponce.
- My favorite and main hobby is playing volleyball!
- I always wanted to be a veterinarian.
- I love food… except french fries!
- I was born in Cuba and immigrated to the United States at Age 5
- My favorite movie is raging bull.
- My favorite movie that I never want to watch again is melancholia.
- I had a cat named cat.
- My favorite book is Of Human Bondage
- I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, but spent much of my childhood in Mumbai, India.
- I can make the meanest and baddest masala chai.
- I am a big fan of motorsports, and enjoy following the FIA World Rally Championship and the World Endurance Series.
- I am space geek with absolutely no knowledge or skill set in Astrophysics.
- In the sport of Cricket, I am a medium fast bowler and wicket keeper
- I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas and as such the weather difference between Texas and Michigan has taken some getting used too.
- I’ve gained a lot of weight and I’ve lost of a lot of weight since coming to Michigan (3 years!).
- When I’m not in lab you can probably find me running or exercising.
- I was initially a nursing major before switching over to biochemistry to pursue research.
- I’ve never owned a car and I doubt I will anytime soon (Ann Arbor is really walkable)
Fundraising Coordinator: Sofia Lopez (email@example.com)
- The El Paso-Juarez border area is what I call home.
- I played the cello growing up (9 years total).
- My undergraduate major was Psychology.
- I began to train Brazilian Jiu-jitsu here in Ann Arbor
- My biggest expense is delicious food
Outreach Coordinator: Nick Silva
- I am originally from California, Los Angeles.
- I did my undergrad and masters at San Francisco State University (SFSU). Thus, I left my heart in San Francisco.
- I like to cook various types of food.
- I started OrangeTheory (Fitness Studio) and LOVE IT!
- I’m kinda obsessed with plants (any), nature, fish, and elephants.
Outreach Coordinator: Kelsey Hallinen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and went to undergrad at Carnegie Mellon.
- I’m an avid runner- I was a 400 m hurdler in high school and college and now have switched to running 5Ks. My goal is to run the Ann Arbor Marathon the year I graduate.
- I volunteer at a camp every summer for children with congenital heart defects. I went there as an 8 year old and this next summer will be my 18th consecutive year there.
- I love playing board games and am constantly looking for new suggestions.
- I foster cats for the Humane Society of Huron Valley. I’m currently cat-less, as my last foster cat Houdini was recently adopted.
Media Manager: Ashley Velez Delgado
Research Interest/Project: : Since the first time I did research, I became fascinated about studying the molecular mechanisms of diseases. At the University of Michigan, I found the perfect fit for my interests by studying tumor microenvironment. Specifically, I study the fibroinflammatory response during pancreatic cancer, meaning that I’m trying to elucidate what do fibroblasts and immune cells do during pancreatic cancer.
- I’m a proud Puerto Rican whom after 22 years living in there decided to come to Michigan for her PhD. What a change!!
- I enjoy meeting new people and making friends.
- For me listening music is like a therapy.
- I love salsa dancing. So, if you are planning to go, let me know!
- I really enjoy mentoring incoming student in the lab, I think is really cool passing your knowledge to others and see how they succeed.
Media Manager: Brenda Cisneros
- I’m originally from California and lived in San Francisco prior to coming to University of Michigan.
- I recently learned how to swim and my goal is to be good enough to swim in the ocean!
- I like to collect and pin insects.
- I’m always open to trying out new hobbies.
- I like to knit, do puzzles, play board games, cook, and read mystery novels during my free time!
Media Manager: Peter Cerda
- I was born in southwest Idaho, where I lived for ten years before moving to deep south Texas.
- I am the first in my family to graduate for college and earn a graduate degree (M.S. ’16 from Michigan)
- Huge Michigan football fan.
- Two days after my thesis defence I left to conduct field collections of cone snails in American Samoa.
- One hour into the first collection dive I almost flipped over a stone fish, which is very dangerous. I was then paranoid for the rest of the day.
Social Event Coordinator: Rosa Menjivar
- I was born and raised in El Salvador
- I did my undergrad at UCLA
- I am the first in my family to go to college
- I have 2 sisters and one brother
- I do not know how to swim! Hope to learn in the near future 🙂
Professional Development/Recruitment Chair & National Liaison: Katy Rico
- I have been to multiple Harry Potter conventions.
- I told myself if I was awarded the NSF GRFP, I would get a dog… so now my partner and I have a dog and her name is BeeBee.
- Cows are my favorite animal. I have an obnoxious amount of cow stuffed animals and things with cows on them.
- Despite my research interest and my department, I am not outdoorsy at all. I’d rather stay in a hotel and have a spa day than camp and hike.
- I was born and raised in Chicago; in the long-term, I hope to move back there to live out the rest of my life.
Chapter Adviser: Dr. Bob Fuller
My lab focuses in studying proteolytic processing and protein localization in the secretory pathway. In particular, our lab focuses on the specificity, efficiency, and location of protease Kex2 in yeast.
- Born in the year that Watson and Crick published the double-helical model of DNA structure.
- Grew up on Army/Air Force bases in Virginia, New Mexico, Kansas, Iceland, Texas & Alabama but went to high school and college in New England.
- Went to college intending to major in American History but took a 3 year leave to play in rock bands (1972-1975) and came back to major in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry.
- Lived in the San Francisco Bay area for 16 years and got hooked on backpacking in the Sierra Nevada.
- I play electric guitar in the CMB band “Embryonic Lethality”