- I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, but spent much of my childhood in Mumbai, India.
- I can make the meanest and baddest masala chai.
- I am a big fan of motorsports, and enjoy following the FIA World Rally Championship and the World Endurance Series.
- I am space geek with absolutely no knowledge or skill set in Astrophysics.
- In the sport of Cricket, I am a medium fast bowler and wicket keeper
Former President: Carla Ramos
Major/Program: Cellular and Molecular Biology Program (CMB)
Research Interest/Project: During my 3rd year of undergraduate my mother was diagnosed with Diabetic retinopathy (DR), essentially an eye disease that occurs frequently in diabetics. At the time I had no idea what DR was so when I moved to MI I made some research on potential lab rotations and I found my current lab that focuses on mechanisms involved in diabetes that leads to DR.
About Me: Five quick facts:
- I was born and raised in Hollywood, California (so by default I went to Hollywood High).
- I am the first in my family to graduate high school, college, and pretty soon from a PhD program.
- I am a dual citizen because my parents are Salvadorean. So I consider myself a Salvadorean-pocha Latina scientist.
- I have a ball python pet named Hades because he has an attitude.
- I love my family, I love my friends, I love making new friends, and yes I love to talk and have fun in the company of friends and family.
Former Treasurer: Kyle Ketchesin
Research Interest/Project: My research is focused on the role of stress and the corticotropin-releasing hormone system in mouse models of alcohol addiction.
About Me: Five quick facts:
- I was born and raised in Ohio.
- I am a first-generation college student.
- My first major trip outside the US was to El Salvador.
- I have a cat named Nemo.
- I love spending time with my friends and family.
Former Media Manager: Matthew Medina
Major/Program: Earth and Environmental Sciences, Geomicrobiology
Research Interest/Project: Broadly, I am interested in microbial ecology. I am currently researching microbial mats that live in a submerged sinkhole in Lake Huron, The Middle Island Sinkhole. This submerged sinkhole hosts phototrophic microbial mats that live under low-oxygen and sulfidic conditions; therefore, it is considered to be an analogue to Proterozoic microbial mat ecosystems. Using meta-genomic and meta-transcriptomic methods, I am uncovering the biogeochemical roles of sulfate-reducing bacteria in this unique microbial mat ecosystem. My work has implications for enhancing our understanding of early Earth geobiology.
- I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas and as such the weather difference between Texas and Michigan has taken some getting used too.
- I’ve gained a lot of weight and I’ve lost of a lot of weight since coming to Michigan (3 years!).
- When I’m not in lab you can probably find me running or exercising.
- I was initially a nursing major before switching over to biochemistry to pursue research.
- I’ve never owned a car and I doubt I will anytime soon (Ann Arbor is really walkable)